Arthur Flake provided strategic leadership for Sunday School development with the Southern Baptist Convention. In 1920, he was appointed head of the Sunday School Board’s new department Sunday School Administration. Through his book, “Building a Standard Sunday School”, Flake laid out a five-point formula for Sunday School growth.
- Discover the prospects. One prospect for each person enrolled.
- Expand the organization. One small group for each 8-12 people attending.
- Train the workers. Ongoing, continuous teacher training.
- Provide the space. At church, in a home, at the park, restaurant or wherever.
- Go after the people. Flake emphasized visitation.
Thousands of churches followed Flake’s Formula and experienced growth.